Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's day sweets

I'll let you guys in on a little secret, I'm a master procrastinator.

It's Mother's day and I still hadn't gotten my Nana ( Grandmother ) or my Mom anything yet. They're both kind of hard to shop for, more so my Nana so I decided to make them something.

My Nana loves vanilla cream chocolates, she nags my Papa every year to get her some from Sees  for her birthday which also happens to be Valentines day. He is also a master procrastinator and he normally gets around to it mid March. I decided to be a bit more punctual and got started early in the morning on making them some treats.





Another recipe from the Pennsylvania Dutch cookbook. 

Does anyone else like gnomes? I love them, this bookmark is so cute, my Mom got it for me a couple years ago. 




                 Oooh glorious chocolate, I used 6 oz. of chocolate and it was just enough in my opinion.


              Finnegan was sunning his belly ( and don't act like I'm only one with Pyrex on the floor. )

                                      I cooked the cream mixture to about 250F, it's best to use a candy thermometer. I chilled my mixture a bit, it made it easier ( and less sticky ) to roll. I love melting chocolate in Pyrex because it keeps it warm way longer than a normal bowl.
                                         
 I used a melon baller to scoop.

 Bite size, face size, whatever makes you happy.



 Roll it!

Where I live it's hot so I put these puppies in the fridge for a little bit so they could harden up.



I also made them shortbread cookies, I just throw the dough in my shortbread pan ( no chilling or cutting out ) and pop it in the oven for 30 minutes and they always come out perfect.

Ina's recipe is the best I've ever tried for shortbread:


My Nana loves sunflowers.


 After that was done we went over to Nana and Papa's house.
 Yum cupcakes.
 This is my Papa pretending to grill.

 Potato salad in T&C 443. I'm going to go through my family's recipes and post some because in my opinion this potato salad is perfect.


The mothers!
 My Nana and I.
My Mom and I, I'm pretty sure this is my first Halloween. 




I hope you all had a beautiful Mother's day. 




8 comments:

  1. Those chocolates look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a chocolate and a piece of short bread and they both were awesome. Thanks Honey and yes that was your first Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chocolate looks amazing. I used to adore peppermint creams when I was younger, but I think vanilla creams might be much more my style now, I'll have to try them out. You packed them so beautifully as well, it looks professional!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your first halloween picture is so freaking cute!

    ReplyDelete